Bomb Blasts at Kabul,30Killed & 400 Injured in Afghan
A suicide attacker detonated a vehicle and gunmen stormed the area, reports say. Officials say the gunfight is now over and the area has been cleared.Taliban spokesman said the group carried out the attack.A major Taliban suicide bomb and gun attack on a government security office in central Kabul during rush hour on Tuesday killed at least 30 people and wounded more than 400, a week after the militant group announced a spring offensive.
The Taliban’s attack, including a suicide car bombing, appears to have targeted an agency similar to the U.S. Secret Service, providing personal protection for high-ranking government officials.”This was one of the most powerful explosions I have ever heard in my life,” said Obaidullah Tarakhail, a police commander who was present when the attack began. Tarakhail said he couldn’t see or hear anything for 20 minutes after the initial explosion. “All around was dark and covered with thick smoke and dust,” he said.
President Ashraf Ghani condemned the assault “in the strongest possible terms” in a statement from the presidential palace, only a few hundred meters away from the scene of the blast in the Afghan capital.
Why Taliban’s Target Afghanistan
Tuesday’s bombing happened during the morning rush hour in Pul-e-Mahmud, a busy neighbourhood where homes, mosques, schools and businesses nestle close to the Ministry of Defence, other ministries and military compounds.The brazen attack began with a suicide car bomb and security forces and militants then exchanged gunfire, Reuters witnesses near the scene said.
Taliban’s says on their Pashto-language website that they had carried out the suicide bombing on “Department 10”, an NDS (National Directorate of Security) unit which is responsible for protecting government ministers and VIPs.
The US embassy said it was not affected by the blast. The NATO military coalition also said it was unaffected.
Reasons Behind Taliban’s Attack
The Taliban last week announced the start of their “spring offensive” even as the government in Kabul tried to talk them back to the negotiating table in a bid to end the country’s drawn-out conflict.The Taliban held Kunduz for three days last year before being driven out by a two-week counteroffensive aided by U.S.-airstrikes. It was their biggest foray into an urban area since 2001.The Taliban held Kunduz for three days last year before being driven out by a two-week counteroffensive aided by U.S.-airstrikes. It was their biggest foray into an urban area since 2001.
“Such cowardly terrorist attacks will not weaken the will and determination of Afghan security forces to fight against terrorism.”
A tweet from President Ghani’s office’s official account suggested the attack “clearly shows the enemy’s defeat in face-to-face battle with ANSDF” – the Afghan National Security and Defense Forces.
More Latest News at http://kabutarnews.com/category/news/